ArtNowLA" />

LACMA Exceeds $750 Million Fundraising Goal For “The Blob”

The building as imagined from the sidewalk on Wilshire.

The Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) has raised over $750 million for its long-awaited David Geffen Galleries. Private donors provided 80% of the funding, while the remaining 20% came from Los Angeles County. Some notable contributors include David Geffen, who donated $150 million, Elaine Wynn and the late W.M. Keck Foundation, who each gave around $50 million, and Steve Tisch, who donated $20 million or more.

“We have reached this milestone thanks to the generosity and hard work of so many people,” Michael Govan, the museum’s director and CEO, said in a statement. “We offer heartfelt thanks to all those who propelled us to this achievement—from our trustees to first-time donors—and to LACMA’s countless supporters from every part of Los Angeles. The David Geffen Galleries will not only be a sublime new home for LACMA’s collections, but a testament to a remarkable wellspring of civic pride and an incredible gift to Los Angeles.”

LACMA announced that their new building, designed by architect Peter Zumthor, is over 65 percent complete and is expected to be finished by late next year. There were concerns after the project was scaled back in 2019, but the LACMA’s director, Michael Govan, described the new structure as “visionary” and “big enough.” Once completed, it will provide 3.5 acres of new outdoor space for public use.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!